Skip to main content

Stewart Macdonald Tenor Ukulele Kit part 8

This post is more of I'm still here since I haven't posted anything for the past month and a half. Finding the time to work on the ukulele has been hard with the kids getting sick, then me getting sick, then the wife getting sick, then the kids all over again. Also, my wife had a special request for a stepping stool for our daughter, so the ukulele had been put on hold.

I sanded up 220. Then using a spray bottle, I sprayed the wood the ukulele with water to raise the grain. The wood swells up and wood fibers tend to stick up (wood whiskers). I then sanded the whiskers out with 320. I repeated the process three times. By the third time, very few whiskers would pop up. Here is the uke after all that sanding.


Next I marked off where the bridge will go on painters tape.

Then I cut the tape to size. When the tape was pulled, it pulled some of the wood with it resulting in more wood whiskers. A light sand with 320 fixed the problem.

Taped off the fretboard before applying a finish.

I don't have the equipment to do nitro, so I went with Tru-Oil. There are many ways to apply the oil. A quick google search on Tru-Oil finish yields many results. I decided to just go with the directions on the bottle. Apply a thin coat, let dry at least 2 hours, buff with 00 steel wool, repeat till you are happy. This is a picture of the ukulele after the first coat.


A few good tips I read in a forum in storing Tru-Oil is to not remove the foil seal but punch a small hole in it, pour out only what you need and store the bottle upside. The first coat will use up a lot of oil as the wood soaks it up. I used about just over 1/4 of a shot glass. Subsequent coats used very little as the wood is already covered. I probably used about 1/8 of a shot glass worth of Tru-Oil.

At the time of writing this, I applied the 6th coat. I feel just a few more coats will fit my taste. After that, just need to let the uke cure for a week or two.

So hopefully in about two weeks, I'll have the bridge glued on and the hardware installed.

Thanks for looking.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fishing Pole/Rod Dryer

My friend, Ross, wanted to fix his fishing pole guides but did not have all the necessary equipment. Luckily, he had a friend that had rod building equipment. I had mentioned to my friend that one day I would like to wrap a custom pole. So my friend said hey look at the stuff you would need. The most expensive piece of equipment was the rod dryer. His friend's dryer was retail bought at some online fishing store, I want to say Cabela's but I am unsure of that. The dryers can be pricey. So my friend and I looked up cheap DIY alternatives. We found many and the concept was the same. Slow rotating motor with a cup to hold the end of the rod. Here is our take on a dryer. Some of the parts to make this was given to me by Ross, thanks dude.

Coca-Cola Condensed Milk Crock Pot Pulled Pork

My wife seen an episode on the Food Network where pulled pork was made with Coca-Cola and condensed milk. I did not get to see that episode but the soda and condensed milk pulled pork sounded really good. She forgot the recipe from the episode so we looked up recipes. From what we had on hand, we based our recipe of that from Crock Pot Coca-Cola Pulled Pork. We were not sure what to expect, but were pleasantly surprised and pleased with how the pulled pork turned out. Here is how we made ours.

Ingredients
(Rough estimates as we just threw stuff in)
1 (5-7 lb) pork shoulder2 tablespoons garlic, minced1 cup onions, diced (not sure if necessary to cut up in little pieces)1 teaspoon black pepper1 teaspoon salt1 teaspoon sambal (chili pepper paste)3 teaspoons liquid smoke (I like smoky flavored stuff)2 liter Coca-Cola1 14oz can condensed milk1 barbecue sauce of choice
Directions
Cut up the onions and garlic, although i think this may be unnecessary since they will be thrown out after cooking.…

Canoe Stand

When my wife got her canoe, there were only a few instructions on the net for building stands. There were many pictures of PVC canoe stands but not much, if any, detailed instructions on making them. Here is my shot at a detailed tutorial (this was also on a site that is no more that I had awhile back).

Table of ContentsSummaryGetting Ready
MaterialsToolsPipe CuttingHole DrillingAssemblyFinishing TouchesSummary

Project: Canoe stands x 2
Project Time: About 3 hours
Material Cost: Around $45

Easy to make canoe stands made out of PVC pipes. These stands have rope padding in place of the standard foam padding I have seen. Personally, I think the rope looks better than foam.

Disclaimer: I take no responsibility if your stand fails to do its job or if you get hurt making the stands. I am writing this because seems like every project has a disclaimer because someone somehow screws up.

Getting Ready
Materials The following items were purchased from Home Depot except for the rope which was purchased …