Skip to main content

Stepping Stool

Shishi Toilet?!? Shishi Toilet? Shishi doo doo? OMG! Potty training is tough.

Shishi is the Japanese American word for urine. We asked our daughter that every 15minutes when we first really started potty training. That didn't work out so great, we realized we just had to take her and let her sit. Over the course of several weeks, she could finally tell us when she needed to go. My wife got tired of lifting her onto the toilet and asked me to make a stepping stool.

I was more than happy to oblige. I had old 1"x12"x4" pine boards laying around. I wanted the stool to be as simple as possible with just those boards. So here is an easy stool with just two 1"x12"x4" pine boards. My boards weren't nice looking so I covered the stool with wallpaper.

Table of Contents

  1. Summary
  2. Materials
  3. Tools
  4. Plans
  5. Assembly

Summary

Simple, quick, cheap and easy stepping stool. The stool can be built in just a few hours. I'm not sure of the cost because I had most of the materials laying around. The only item I purchased was the self-sticking wallpaper.

Project: Stepping Stool
Project Time: About 3 hours
Material Cost: Not sure, but should be cheap, under ~$20 perhaps

Materials

1" x 12" x 4" Pine boards * 2
Glue
Nails
Rubber feet
Self-sticking wallpaper of choice.

Tools

Electric Saw
Hammer
Ruler
Clamps

Plans

Here are the dimensions to the pieces. Please pardon my MsPaint skills.

Assembly

Cut the pieces out.  I first attached the front pieces first with glue and clamps. I made the height a bit shorter than the steps so that there is a space at the bottom of each step for me to stick my hand in for easier carrying. The space was also set at the bottom as applying the wallpaper is easier than if the gap was at the top.

Then I glued and clamped the back brace about half-way up flush with the back. The back brace is probably not necessary as my daughter only weighs about 25lbs.

After 30 minutes or so, I put in nails for reinforcement and removed the clamps.

I just eye-ball centered the top pieces so that the overhang would be the same on both sides. Same deal, glue, clamp, wait, nail.

Give the stool a good sanding to remove splinters. The sanding doesn't need to be very detailed since the stool will be covered with wallpaper. I just ended with 100 grit and scratches all over the place.

If your wood is nice, then you might consider sanding to a nice finish and use a nice wood finish. My boards weren't so good so the wallpaper was necessary. Applying the wallpaper was pretty simple. Cut to size and stick on.

Attach rubber feet to the bottom for grip and prevent scratching to your floor. I happen to have screw in rubber feet from an old stereo system. I'm sure the self-sticking rubber feet will work too.

For extra footing grip, I thought why not use those foam mats for placing dishes on. To attach the mat, I just used Elmer's spray adhesive. The grip worked great for a few days but turned out to be a bad idea. My daughter could not get to the toiled in time and shishi'ed onto the stool. The mat soaked up the pee very good, too good. I have then removed the mat. Oh well, it was worth a try.


Here is my daughter using it to help her brush her teeth before bedtime. If you are asking about why just one sock, she was proud that she put the sock on all by herself, must be a kid thing where they want to show off their new found powers.

Thanks for looking.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fishing Pole/Rod Dryer

My friend, Ross, wanted to fix his fishing pole guides but did not have all the necessary equipment. Luckily, he had a friend that had rod building equipment. I had mentioned to my friend that one day I would like to wrap a custom pole. So my friend said hey look at the stuff you would need. The most expensive piece of equipment was the rod dryer. His friend's dryer was retail bought at some online fishing store, I want to say Cabela's but I am unsure of that. The dryers can be pricey. So my friend and I looked up cheap DIY alternatives. We found many and the concept was the same. Slow rotating motor with a cup to hold the end of the rod. Here is our take on a dryer. Some of the parts to make this was given to me by Ross, thanks dude.

Canoe Stand

When my wife got her canoe, there were only a few instructions on the net for building stands. There were many pictures of PVC canoe stands but not much, if any, detailed instructions on making them. Here is my shot at a detailed tutorial (this was also on a site that is no more that I had awhile back). Table of Contents Summary Getting Ready Materials Tools Pipe Cutting Hole Drilling Assembly Finishing Touches Summary Project: Canoe stands x 2 Project Time: About 3 hours Material Cost: Around $45 Easy to make canoe stands made out of PVC pipes. These stands have rope padding in place of the standard foam padding I have seen. Personally, I think the rope looks better than foam. Disclaimer: I take no responsibility if your stand fails to do its job or if you get hurt making the stands. I am writing this because seems like every project has a disclaimer because someone somehow screws up. Getting Ready Materials The following items were purchased

DIY Children's Swing

DIY Children's Swing Here is a simple and fairly cheap small swing for little toddlers under 40lbs.