Skip to main content

Solid Body Ukulele Part 2

My first attempt at cutting the body template was a bust. I used a forstner bit to remove material about half an inch to the body outline. Then I thought I could could use a sanding drum for a Dremel in a drill press to shape the template. The dremel drum could only remove very little material at a time, so I gave up on that idea.

I do not have a bandsaw nor a scroll saw. I also do not have the funds right now to get one. I found an old coping saw in my wife's grandpa's tool shed. Unfortunately, its rusted beyond belief and the blade needs replacing. I used the saw anyway but cutting through 1/2" MDF with an old rusted and dull saw just was not happening. I will have to get a new saw.

Luckily, there is a 1/4" MDF board laying around that I can use to make a template out of. Cutting through the 1/4" board should be much easier than the original 1/2" board. Then maybe I can use this template to cut out the 1/2" board with a router.

With the body on hold, I decided to work on the bridge. I bought a cheapy ashtray Telecaster bridge off eBay. A hardtail bridge is cheaper but for some odd reason the look of the big barrel saddle appeals to me.

The initial plan was just to use the bridge as is but after placing it on the body template, it took up way too much room. I will need to cut the ashtray down to just hold two saddles. Unfortunately, the back lip of the bridge is not completely straight. There is a bend near the outer strings. I will need to use the middle of the bridge. Not really necessary but looks better. Here is a test placement of saddles.


There are no holes for the saddle screws in the center so I had to drill out new holes. Here are the saddles in place with the new holes.


With the saddles in, I used tape on the underside to mark the cut line.


Here is the bridge cut to size using a Dremel and cutoff wheel. I cut close the line and then used a file to finish it off.

Here is the bridge with the saddles in.


Here is the bridge on the new template to be cut out. I wish I had taken a picture of the original bridge on the template to show the difference. The full bridge took up way too much space.




Just need to get that coping saw so I can work on the body again. If not, I can at least plane the neck.

Thanks for looking.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fishing Pole/Rod Dryer

My friend, Ross, wanted to fix his fishing pole guides but did not have all the necessary equipment. Luckily, he had a friend that had rod building equipment. I had mentioned to my friend that one day I would like to wrap a custom pole. So my friend said hey look at the stuff you would need. The most expensive piece of equipment was the rod dryer. His friend's dryer was retail bought at some online fishing store, I want to say Cabela's but I am unsure of that. The dryers can be pricey. So my friend and I looked up cheap DIY alternatives. We found many and the concept was the same. Slow rotating motor with a cup to hold the end of the rod. Here is our take on a dryer. Some of the parts to make this was given to me by Ross, thanks dude.

Canoe Stand

When my wife got her canoe, there were only a few instructions on the net for building stands. There were many pictures of PVC canoe stands but not much, if any, detailed instructions on making them. Here is my shot at a detailed tutorial (this was also on a site that is no more that I had awhile back).

Table of ContentsSummaryGetting Ready
MaterialsToolsPipe CuttingHole DrillingAssemblyFinishing TouchesSummary

Project: Canoe stands x 2
Project Time: About 3 hours
Material Cost: Around $45

Easy to make canoe stands made out of PVC pipes. These stands have rope padding in place of the standard foam padding I have seen. Personally, I think the rope looks better than foam.

Disclaimer: I take no responsibility if your stand fails to do its job or if you get hurt making the stands. I am writing this because seems like every project has a disclaimer because someone somehow screws up.

Getting Ready
Materials The following items were purchased from Home Depot except for the rope which was purchased …

Coca-Cola Condensed Milk Crock Pot Pulled Pork

My wife seen an episode on the Food Network where pulled pork was made with Coca-Cola and condensed milk. I did not get to see that episode but the soda and condensed milk pulled pork sounded really good. She forgot the recipe from the episode so we looked up recipes. From what we had on hand, we based our recipe of that from Crock Pot Coca-Cola Pulled Pork. We were not sure what to expect, but were pleasantly surprised and pleased with how the pulled pork turned out. Here is how we made ours.

Ingredients
(Rough estimates as we just threw stuff in)
1 (5-7 lb) pork shoulder2 tablespoons garlic, minced1 cup onions, diced (not sure if necessary to cut up in little pieces)1 teaspoon black pepper1 teaspoon salt1 teaspoon sambal (chili pepper paste)3 teaspoons liquid smoke (I like smoky flavored stuff)2 liter Coca-Cola1 14oz can condensed milk1 barbecue sauce of choice
Directions
Cut up the onions and garlic, although i think this may be unnecessary since they will be thrown out after cooking.…