Skip to main content

Stewart Macdonald Tenor Ukulele Kit part 5

I finally finished up gluing the soundboard to the sides. I took so long mainly due to lack of equipment and supplies. My chisels were a bit dull and needed sharpening. I like to use the The D&S Scary Sharp(TM) System of sharpening but this time I was out of sandpaper. Took awhile before I found time to get the sandpaper I needed. After sharpening my chisel super sharp, shaping the braces were a breeze. The chisel cut through the braces like butter. I did not cut the braces to length at this time.


Following the directions, I used a turnbuckle to clamp the side to the jig. I found that the back portion of the side did not sit flush to the jig. The cause was that the dowels holding in the waist line were not perfectly perpendicular to the jig base. I thought I could remedy this by wedging in card stock so that the ukulele side would sit perpendicular to the base. This turned out to be a problem later on (but could have been avoided). To sand the top flat, I used a sheet of sandpaper glued to granite plate used for sharpening.


With the top of the side sanded flat, I could test fit the soundboard and mark the braces for the correct width. I centered and clamped the soundboard and carefully marked on the brace and the side where the two crossed. This way I can get the exact thickness of the side and lining to trim away from the brace.

During the soundboard test fit, I found that the scrap wood protecting the tail block from the turnbuckle was a bit too high and bumped the vertical braces. Somewhere down the line of fitting a different scrap piece, the card stock holding the sides perpendicular shifted. That led to the problem I mentioned before.


I tried using the rubber bands during the dry clamp test. I didn't like how the top would flex and arch. I placed a 1x3 across the top to keep the top from arching. This only kept the center flat and the area outside would still flex. The overhang of the top stick out so much that not much pressure is need to flex the top. I ended up using a combination of the rubber bands and clamps. The clamps helped in keeping the top from flexing.


Okay, so for the problem that I mentioned earlier. When the card stock holding the waistline shifted, the side did not sit perpendicular to the jig. On the right waistline the top was pushed in a bit too much. This caused the top to dip just a slight bit and formed a gap. I found it by shining a light on the seam to make sure that I glued the soundboard to the side flush. Here is a picture of the gap with light shining through.This could have been avoided if I had rechecked the sides ensuring that it sat perpendicular with the jig. Luckily for me, this was easy to fix. Just needed to glue shavings into the gap.


Before the top was flush trimmed, I used a Dremel with a sanding drum to sand the overhang to about 1/8" of the side. I then used a trim router to trim the top.



Up next will be trimming the back portion of the side and the back braces and installing the back.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fishing Pole/Rod Dryer

My friend, Ross, wanted to fix his fishing pole guides but did not have all the necessary equipment. Luckily, he had a friend that had rod building equipment. I had mentioned to my friend that one day I would like to wrap a custom pole. So my friend said hey look at the stuff you would need. The most expensive piece of equipment was the rod dryer. His friend's dryer was retail bought at some online fishing store, I want to say Cabela's but I am unsure of that. The dryers can be pricey. So my friend and I looked up cheap DIY alternatives. We found many and the concept was the same. Slow rotating motor with a cup to hold the end of the rod. Here is our take on a dryer. Some of the parts to make this was given to me by Ross, thanks dude.

Canoe Stand

When my wife got her canoe, there were only a few instructions on the net for building stands. There were many pictures of PVC canoe stands but not much, if any, detailed instructions on making them. Here is my shot at a detailed tutorial (this was also on a site that is no more that I had awhile back).

Table of ContentsSummaryGetting Ready
MaterialsToolsPipe CuttingHole DrillingAssemblyFinishing TouchesSummary

Project: Canoe stands x 2
Project Time: About 3 hours
Material Cost: Around $45

Easy to make canoe stands made out of PVC pipes. These stands have rope padding in place of the standard foam padding I have seen. Personally, I think the rope looks better than foam.

Disclaimer: I take no responsibility if your stand fails to do its job or if you get hurt making the stands. I am writing this because seems like every project has a disclaimer because someone somehow screws up.

Getting Ready
Materials The following items were purchased from Home Depot except for the rope which was purchased …

Coca-Cola Condensed Milk Crock Pot Pulled Pork

My wife seen an episode on the Food Network where pulled pork was made with Coca-Cola and condensed milk. I did not get to see that episode but the soda and condensed milk pulled pork sounded really good. She forgot the recipe from the episode so we looked up recipes. From what we had on hand, we based our recipe of that from Crock Pot Coca-Cola Pulled Pork. We were not sure what to expect, but were pleasantly surprised and pleased with how the pulled pork turned out. Here is how we made ours.

Ingredients
(Rough estimates as we just threw stuff in)
1 (5-7 lb) pork shoulder2 tablespoons garlic, minced1 cup onions, diced (not sure if necessary to cut up in little pieces)1 teaspoon black pepper1 teaspoon salt1 teaspoon sambal (chili pepper paste)3 teaspoons liquid smoke (I like smoky flavored stuff)2 liter Coca-Cola1 14oz can condensed milk1 barbecue sauce of choice
Directions
Cut up the onions and garlic, although i think this may be unnecessary since they will be thrown out after cooking.…