Skip to main content

Stewart Macdonald Tenor Ukulele Kit part 3

I relieve mommy of baby doodie, I mean duty, when I come home from work so I haven't had much time to fit and glue the back linings. I have my baby on my lap on a Boppy pillow as I work on the uke (I even have her on my lap right now as write this posts). Here's a picture of work stoppage to plug the crying baby, I mean pacify baby with binky, just as I was about to cut the lining to size. I had to stop after the cuts because baby wanted my 100% attention.

On the following night I was able to sand the edges of the lining to better fit the uke. Dry fitting went well till baby got fussy again.



Luckily for me tonight, Mommy took the kids out. This gave me time to glue in the lining. I really should have done this outside but I had everything at my desk and was not sure how long Mommy would be out. Gluing was a tad bit messy. You try to be neat, but you still drip here and there.

I did several dry runs, marked the linings left/right but I still managed to make a huge mistake. Luckily the mistake did not turn out to be disastrous. For my first lining glue up, I applied glue to the wrong side of the lining. I thought I messed it up but a quick wipe down with damp rags cleaned it up. I didn't have time to let it dry since I had already applied glue to the inside of the uke. I applied glue on the correct side of the lining and placed it in. As I placed the clothespin, they would stick here and there to the lining from residual glue. I would have to clamp different sections while I wipe down other areas. I kept doing this till the clothespins didn't feel like they stick to the lining. Here is one side of the lining done.


I made sure that I applied glue to correct side for the next lining. Here it is right before gluing.

Here I have both sides glued in and clamped with clothespins. I used just a little over 100 clothespins. The clothespins were cheap. Walmart sold packs of 100 for about $1.50 per pack. I checked up on the pins holding the side I messed up on every so often to make sure they are not glued to the lining. So far, none of them seem like they are sticking. Time to let glued up linings dry overnight.



I'll skip posting about installing the top linings since it is the same as this post. Just imagine the pictures above again, but this time for the top of the uke. Hopefully baby will be good tomorrow and let me finish the linings in one sitting. Next up will be working on the sound board and back of the uke.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fishing Pole/Rod Dryer

My friend, Ross, wanted to fix his fishing pole guides but did not have all the necessary equipment. Luckily, he had a friend that had rod building equipment. I had mentioned to my friend that one day I would like to wrap a custom pole. So my friend said hey look at the stuff you would need. The most expensive piece of equipment was the rod dryer. His friend's dryer was retail bought at some online fishing store, I want to say Cabela's but I am unsure of that. The dryers can be pricey. So my friend and I looked up cheap DIY alternatives. We found many and the concept was the same. Slow rotating motor with a cup to hold the end of the rod. Here is our take on a dryer. Some of the parts to make this was given to me by Ross, thanks dude.

Canoe Stand

When my wife got her canoe, there were only a few instructions on the net for building stands. There were many pictures of PVC canoe stands but not much, if any, detailed instructions on making them. Here is my shot at a detailed tutorial (this was also on a site that is no more that I had awhile back).

Table of ContentsSummaryGetting Ready
MaterialsToolsPipe CuttingHole DrillingAssemblyFinishing TouchesSummary

Project: Canoe stands x 2
Project Time: About 3 hours
Material Cost: Around $45

Easy to make canoe stands made out of PVC pipes. These stands have rope padding in place of the standard foam padding I have seen. Personally, I think the rope looks better than foam.

Disclaimer: I take no responsibility if your stand fails to do its job or if you get hurt making the stands. I am writing this because seems like every project has a disclaimer because someone somehow screws up.

Getting Ready
Materials The following items were purchased from Home Depot except for the rope which was purchased …

Coca-Cola Condensed Milk Crock Pot Pulled Pork

My wife seen an episode on the Food Network where pulled pork was made with Coca-Cola and condensed milk. I did not get to see that episode but the soda and condensed milk pulled pork sounded really good. She forgot the recipe from the episode so we looked up recipes. From what we had on hand, we based our recipe of that from Crock Pot Coca-Cola Pulled Pork. We were not sure what to expect, but were pleasantly surprised and pleased with how the pulled pork turned out. Here is how we made ours.

Ingredients
(Rough estimates as we just threw stuff in)
1 (5-7 lb) pork shoulder2 tablespoons garlic, minced1 cup onions, diced (not sure if necessary to cut up in little pieces)1 teaspoon black pepper1 teaspoon salt1 teaspoon sambal (chili pepper paste)3 teaspoons liquid smoke (I like smoky flavored stuff)2 liter Coca-Cola1 14oz can condensed milk1 barbecue sauce of choice
Directions
Cut up the onions and garlic, although i think this may be unnecessary since they will be thrown out after cooking.…