Skip to main content

Stewart Macdonald Tenor Ukulele Kit part 1

My wife bought me a Tenor Ukulele Kit from Stewart Macdonald in February for my Christmas present (she gets my xmas presents late). She knows I like to tinker with guitars (I'm a luthier wannabe) and thought this would be a great gift.

I received the kit in the mail sometime in March, I was excited at first to see the box waiting for me. Then upon inspection, the box looked a little beat up at the corners. I thought no biggie of it and eagerly opened the box. To my dismay, there was a big crack/split in the ukulele's side piece. Also, one of the 1/4" dowel pegs was missing. I'm guessing the dowel peg fell through a hole in the box. You can see that hole in the picture that has the cracked side piece.



I contacted StewMac via email (with the above picture) that night about the damage from shipping. Customer service responded by the time I checked my email in the morning and said they would ship a replacement piece asap. I received the replacement within a few days. I didn't mention the 1/4 dowel peg as I have a box of those, but I'm sure StewMac would have sent a replacement if I had mentioned it.

While I was waiting for the new side to arrive, I read the instructions several times over. The instructions seem pretty straight forward. I spent a lot of time perusing the form at Ukulele Underground. Lots of good reading in there. I also read Building a Ukulele from a Stewart-Macdonald Kit a few times. The build is of an older soprano kit but the site provides valuable information. Another site that has useful information is West Hills Wood's Ukulele Build.

I started on the kit when I received the new side piece. I could have started while waiting as there are parts that do not require the side piece. Since this is my first time building, I don't want to skip around and miss something important.

The first step was to build the body assembly jig. The instructions were straight forward. The instructions say you can use angle brackets or fashion something out of wood for the side support. I don't like the idea of the metal bracket up against the wooden because I could mar the sides. Luckily I had angle brackets and 3/4" dowels. I cut two short pieces of the dowel and attached it to the angle brackets. Now the side won't be in direct contact with the metal brackets.



Next up, gluing the neck block.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fishing Pole/Rod Dryer

My friend, Ross, wanted to fix his fishing pole guides but did not have all the necessary equipment. Luckily, he had a friend that had rod building equipment. I had mentioned to my friend that one day I would like to wrap a custom pole. So my friend said hey look at the stuff you would need. The most expensive piece of equipment was the rod dryer. His friend's dryer was retail bought at some online fishing store, I want to say Cabela's but I am unsure of that. The dryers can be pricey. So my friend and I looked up cheap DIY alternatives. We found many and the concept was the same. Slow rotating motor with a cup to hold the end of the rod. Here is our take on a dryer. Some of the parts to make this was given to me by Ross, thanks dude.

Canoe Stand

When my wife got her canoe, there were only a few instructions on the net for building stands. There were many pictures of PVC canoe stands but not much, if any, detailed instructions on making them. Here is my shot at a detailed tutorial (this was also on a site that is no more that I had awhile back).

Table of ContentsSummaryGetting Ready
MaterialsToolsPipe CuttingHole DrillingAssemblyFinishing TouchesSummary

Project: Canoe stands x 2
Project Time: About 3 hours
Material Cost: Around $45

Easy to make canoe stands made out of PVC pipes. These stands have rope padding in place of the standard foam padding I have seen. Personally, I think the rope looks better than foam.

Disclaimer: I take no responsibility if your stand fails to do its job or if you get hurt making the stands. I am writing this because seems like every project has a disclaimer because someone somehow screws up.

Getting Ready
Materials The following items were purchased from Home Depot except for the rope which was purchased …

Coca-Cola Condensed Milk Crock Pot Pulled Pork

My wife seen an episode on the Food Network where pulled pork was made with Coca-Cola and condensed milk. I did not get to see that episode but the soda and condensed milk pulled pork sounded really good. She forgot the recipe from the episode so we looked up recipes. From what we had on hand, we based our recipe of that from Crock Pot Coca-Cola Pulled Pork. We were not sure what to expect, but were pleasantly surprised and pleased with how the pulled pork turned out. Here is how we made ours.

Ingredients
(Rough estimates as we just threw stuff in)
1 (5-7 lb) pork shoulder2 tablespoons garlic, minced1 cup onions, diced (not sure if necessary to cut up in little pieces)1 teaspoon black pepper1 teaspoon salt1 teaspoon sambal (chili pepper paste)3 teaspoons liquid smoke (I like smoky flavored stuff)2 liter Coca-Cola1 14oz can condensed milk1 barbecue sauce of choice
Directions
Cut up the onions and garlic, although i think this may be unnecessary since they will be thrown out after cooking.…