Skip to main content

DIY Nintendo Classic Controller Journey



I was lucky enough to find an NES Classic in store. Walmart worker was a bit shady, felt like he was reluctant to get me one out of inventory in the back but there was another worker there with him that may have been his manager. So after a long awkward pause, he was like "uhhhhhhhhh, hold on", then goes into the back and comes out with a mini. I just wanted to share that story even though has nothing to do with the DIY controller.

Okay, one more vent story. I bought the Emio Edge joystic after reading that Emio had fixed the controller to work with the mini. The first Emio Edge I had acted wonky. There was a long delay in movement and button clicks. The turbo controls didn't seem like they did anything. I returned the first one and received a replacement. The second controller responded spot on to movement and button clicks, no noticeable lag. The turbo controls actually worked, the LEDs lit up and the rotary dials controlled the turbo rate. However, the joystick spring was either busted or super weak. The joystick would not return back to neutral. I could've easily fixed it by opening up and replacing the spring but I felt I shouldn't have to fix something that is brand new. So yeah, I returned it and looked for another alternative which leads me to another story.

I thought, why not just get an adapter to use another console's controller. I came across the project Wii Retropad Adapter by Bruno Freitas. I perused his site and I realized that I bought a RetroVGA Scanlines Generator back in 2014 from him for an arcade cabinet for myself my kids. Then after reading the code, I was like, why read another controller when I can just wire up buttons to open ports on the microcontroller. Then I could also add a Home button that would take me back to the menu screen of the Mini instead of having to press reset on the console. You would think Emio would have thought of this instead of putting a useless A+B button (or even Slow which doesn't work for most games).

I bought an Arduino to try out my idea. Sadly, I could not get it to work. After hours of frustration and lack of knowledge about microcontrollers I finally got the code to work. Turned out, I couldn't use the Arduino because it is running at 5V and the mini outputs 3.3V. Even though I powered the Arduino externally, I still could not get it to work. I'm sure someone with better knowledge could make the Arduino work with the mini.

So I ended up using the Arduino as an ISP to flash Atmega328P chips using the WinAVR toolchain. I tried out Atmel Studio and ended up buying an Atmel-Ice to use along with it. Reasons were that I like Visual Studio and the ability to debug microcontrollers is awesome (for supported chips of course).

The DIY controller works pretty good for now on the breadboard. I will move it off to an enclosure soon. The controller will have a 4-way joystick for movement. Aside from the A, B, Select, Start buttons, there will be a Home button. Turbo controlled with on/off toggle switches and a rotary dial to adjust rate with LED status to show how fast the buttons are pressed.

Quick breadboard demo:


I 3d printed a case to mimic the NES Advantage. I'll get the microcontroller source files out on GitHub and STL files for the case on Thingiverse in the near future.



Paper cutout mockup for labels.

Comments

  1. Hi

    How can I use NES mini controller and transform it into joystick and button format.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete

Popular posts from this blog

Fishing Pole/Rod Dryer

My friend, Ross, wanted to fix his fishing pole guides but did not have all the necessary equipment. Luckily, he had a friend that had rod building equipment. I had mentioned to my friend that one day I would like to wrap a custom pole. So my friend said hey look at the stuff you would need. The most expensive piece of equipment was the rod dryer. His friend's dryer was retail bought at some online fishing store, I want to say Cabela's but I am unsure of that. The dryers can be pricey. So my friend and I looked up cheap DIY alternatives. We found many and the concept was the same. Slow rotating motor with a cup to hold the end of the rod. Here is our take on a dryer. Some of the parts to make this was given to me by Ross, thanks dude.

Canoe Stand

When my wife got her canoe, there were only a few instructions on the net for building stands. There were many pictures of PVC canoe stands but not much, if any, detailed instructions on making them. Here is my shot at a detailed tutorial (this was also on a site that is no more that I had awhile back). Table of Contents Summary Getting Ready Materials Tools Pipe Cutting Hole Drilling Assembly Finishing Touches Summary Project: Canoe stands x 2 Project Time: About 3 hours Material Cost: Around $45 Easy to make canoe stands made out of PVC pipes. These stands have rope padding in place of the standard foam padding I have seen. Personally, I think the rope looks better than foam. Disclaimer: I take no responsibility if your stand fails to do its job or if you get hurt making the stands. I am writing this because seems like every project has a disclaimer because someone somehow screws up. Getting Ready Materials The following items were purchased

DIY Children's Swing

DIY Children's Swing Here is a simple and fairly cheap small swing for little toddlers under 40lbs.