Skip to main content

Stewart Macdonald Tenor Ukulele Kit part 10 (Complete)

Finally completed, woot.

Whewww, I took over a year, but worth the time. Well, the actual time put working on the uke really was not that long. From my last post, I've been inundated with sickness, the holidays, more sicknesses, planning my baby's 1st bday, weddings, more birthdays and even more sicknesses.

Aside from peronal life stalling this project, I ran into trouble with the saddle. The saddle that came with the kit was way too slim for the saddle slot in the bridge. I ordered a new bone saddle off eBay from a seller in China and that took about two weeks to arrive. Then I screwed up that saddle too. I sanded it snug to fit the bridge slot, but when I decided to polish it, I sanded it a bit too much with the finer grits. The saddle was just a tad bit too slim where it would fall out of the bridge. So I had to order another saddle. I should've just ordered a bunch the first time around. The second saddle was a success.

When I strung up the uke for the first time, the wound C string had a lound twang to it. At first I thought crap, I screwed up on my uke. I was like oh well, my first uke, just gonna finish it off anyway. I continued on and setup the action. As I worked on the nut, the twang in the C string went away. I guess the slot in the nut was not cut right.

I used the strings with the kit only for the setup. I used a tip on a guitar setup site where you file down the top of the nut with the string still on so that you get the right height for the top of the nut. Needless to say, you ruin the strings when you do that. I replaced them with GHS strings which looks like the same kind of strings included in the kit.

Okay enough of my chit chat, here are pictures of the completed uke. Finally after a year of patiently working on it when time permits.








And here is the obligatory C, Am, F, G7. Please excuse my playing as I am not very good at it.
video

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fishing Pole/Rod Dryer

My friend, Ross, wanted to fix his fishing pole guides but did not have all the necessary equipment. Luckily, he had a friend that had rod building equipment. I had mentioned to my friend that one day I would like to wrap a custom pole. So my friend said hey look at the stuff you would need. The most expensive piece of equipment was the rod dryer. His friend's dryer was retail bought at some online fishing store, I want to say Cabela's but I am unsure of that. The dryers can be pricey. So my friend and I looked up cheap DIY alternatives. We found many and the concept was the same. Slow rotating motor with a cup to hold the end of the rod. Here is our take on a dryer. Some of the parts to make this was given to me by Ross, thanks dude.

Coca-Cola Condensed Milk Crock Pot Pulled Pork

My wife seen an episode on the Food Network where pulled pork was made with Coca-Cola and condensed milk. I did not get to see that episode but the soda and condensed milk pulled pork sounded really good. She forgot the recipe from the episode so we looked up recipes. From what we had on hand, we based our recipe of that from Crock Pot Coca-Cola Pulled Pork. We were not sure what to expect, but were pleasantly surprised and pleased with how the pulled pork turned out. Here is how we made ours.

Ingredients
(Rough estimates as we just threw stuff in)
1 (5-7 lb) pork shoulder2 tablespoons garlic, minced1 cup onions, diced (not sure if necessary to cut up in little pieces)1 teaspoon black pepper1 teaspoon salt1 teaspoon sambal (chili pepper paste)3 teaspoons liquid smoke (I like smoky flavored stuff)2 liter Coca-Cola1 14oz can condensed milk1 barbecue sauce of choice
Directions
Cut up the onions and garlic, although i think this may be unnecessary since they will be thrown out after cooking.…

Canoe Stand

When my wife got her canoe, there were only a few instructions on the net for building stands. There were many pictures of PVC canoe stands but not much, if any, detailed instructions on making them. Here is my shot at a detailed tutorial (this was also on a site that is no more that I had awhile back).

Table of ContentsSummaryGetting Ready
MaterialsToolsPipe CuttingHole DrillingAssemblyFinishing TouchesSummary

Project: Canoe stands x 2
Project Time: About 3 hours
Material Cost: Around $45

Easy to make canoe stands made out of PVC pipes. These stands have rope padding in place of the standard foam padding I have seen. Personally, I think the rope looks better than foam.

Disclaimer: I take no responsibility if your stand fails to do its job or if you get hurt making the stands. I am writing this because seems like every project has a disclaimer because someone somehow screws up.

Getting Ready
Materials The following items were purchased from Home Depot except for the rope which was purchased …