Skip to main content

Stewart Macdonald Tenor Ukulele Kit part 9

Well, I let the Tru-Oil cure for more than just a few weeks mainly because I did not had time to work on the uke. I had five weddings to go to in October, so that pretty much ate up each weekend. Good times though.

So here is the uke fresh from sitting around for about 6 weeks. I just put on enough oil that made me feel good. I'm going for a satin sheen and I did not completely pore fill. Might not be a super smooth finish but I'm happy with it.


I removed the the protecteve tape on the fretboard and noticed that the buildup of the Tru-Oil creates a ridge right where the neck meets the fretboard. I think next time I won't tape directly on the line. Maybe just a little up as a buffer when I sand the ridge smooth.

The bridge tape has lines that I had marked for bridge placement. Before I removed the tape, I cut little holes in the tape so that I could mark off the bridge lines on the wood.

I laid down new tape to mark off where the bridge will go. Here is a pict of the test fit of the bridge.

With the test fit, the outline of the bridge was marked. Here it is before I cut out the excess tape.

Aside from the weddings postponing work on the uke, I did not have the proper equipment to work on the uke neck. I had to make a mini neck caul to fit the uke. Here is a pict of a simple neck caul. It is basically just two pieces of 45 degree corner lattice covered with cork glued to scrap wood to form a V.

I opted to not use the fretwire that came with the uke. Instead I used medium high fretwire I had laying around. Okay, another reason for the medium fretwire is that I only have medium and wide fret files. I don't have narrow fret files. 

Here is a shot of the whole uke so far.

The frets are in. I'm going to glue them in. I personally like them glued in. I just have peace of mind knowing that the frets are semi-permanently installed.

Next time should all the hardware should be installed and ready to play.

Thanks for looking.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fishing Pole/Rod Dryer

My friend, Ross, wanted to fix his fishing pole guides but did not have all the necessary equipment. Luckily, he had a friend that had rod building equipment. I had mentioned to my friend that one day I would like to wrap a custom pole. So my friend said hey look at the stuff you would need. The most expensive piece of equipment was the rod dryer. His friend's dryer was retail bought at some online fishing store, I want to say Cabela's but I am unsure of that. The dryers can be pricey. So my friend and I looked up cheap DIY alternatives. We found many and the concept was the same. Slow rotating motor with a cup to hold the end of the rod. Here is our take on a dryer. Some of the parts to make this was given to me by Ross, thanks dude.

Canoe Stand

When my wife got her canoe, there were only a few instructions on the net for building stands. There were many pictures of PVC canoe stands but not much, if any, detailed instructions on making them. Here is my shot at a detailed tutorial (this was also on a site that is no more that I had awhile back).

Table of ContentsSummaryGetting Ready
MaterialsToolsPipe CuttingHole DrillingAssemblyFinishing TouchesSummary

Project: Canoe stands x 2
Project Time: About 3 hours
Material Cost: Around $45

Easy to make canoe stands made out of PVC pipes. These stands have rope padding in place of the standard foam padding I have seen. Personally, I think the rope looks better than foam.

Disclaimer: I take no responsibility if your stand fails to do its job or if you get hurt making the stands. I am writing this because seems like every project has a disclaimer because someone somehow screws up.

Getting Ready
Materials The following items were purchased from Home Depot except for the rope which was purchased …

Coca-Cola Condensed Milk Crock Pot Pulled Pork

My wife seen an episode on the Food Network where pulled pork was made with Coca-Cola and condensed milk. I did not get to see that episode but the soda and condensed milk pulled pork sounded really good. She forgot the recipe from the episode so we looked up recipes. From what we had on hand, we based our recipe of that from Crock Pot Coca-Cola Pulled Pork. We were not sure what to expect, but were pleasantly surprised and pleased with how the pulled pork turned out. Here is how we made ours.

Ingredients
(Rough estimates as we just threw stuff in)
1 (5-7 lb) pork shoulder2 tablespoons garlic, minced1 cup onions, diced (not sure if necessary to cut up in little pieces)1 teaspoon black pepper1 teaspoon salt1 teaspoon sambal (chili pepper paste)3 teaspoons liquid smoke (I like smoky flavored stuff)2 liter Coca-Cola1 14oz can condensed milk1 barbecue sauce of choice
Directions
Cut up the onions and garlic, although i think this may be unnecessary since they will be thrown out after cooking.…